Tuesday 29 September 2015

Complaining Might Become Illegal

Dear Ravinder,  You could be arrested for a Facebook post. Complaining about something could get you life imprisonment. Sign my petition to ensure this does not happen.  3 years back, I was arrested for my political cartoons under the serious charge of sedition. The Supreme Court asked the police to release me and asked the Government to clarify the rules so that this would not happen again.  The Maharashtra Government is now trying to reinterpret the law so that anybody can be arrested for saying anything against the Government. Sign my petition to prevent them from doing so.  The Government has released a circular that implies that we cannot comment or complain about any elected official on any media without the fear of being arrested.  The High Court has responded to my petition and asked the Maharashtra Government to retract the circular. But the Government still hasn’t responded!  If you sign and share this petition and we gather enough support, Maharashtra Chief Minister Fadnavis will have to retract the circular and clarify the guidelines to the police.  I’m counting on you to help me in this fight.  Thank you for taking action,  Aseem Trivedi Chief Minister Shri Devendra Fadnavis: CM Shri Devendra Fadnavis, Reissue the Circular on Sec 124A to Safeguard Our Free Speech Aseem Trivedi New Delhi, Delhi Sign my petition 3 years ago, I was arrested wrongfully for my cartoons under the serious charge of sedition. It was a clear violation of the Freedom of Speech and Expression. 4 days back, the Maharashtra government released a circular reinterpreting the law that makes the situation much worse. Sign my petition to help safeguard our fundamental rights. Criticising the government can now land you in jail for life. Based on this circular, the police can now arrest any activist, protester or even a regular citizen complaining on Facebook for sedition. Your penalty could be a hefty fine or jail time ranging from 3 years to life imprisonment. Sign my petition asking the Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis to reissue this circular and correct this error to prevent innocent citizens from being arrested for speaking their minds. In my case, the police misinterpreted the law to arrest me for my political cartoons. The Supreme Court dismissed my case and asked the government to issue clear guidelines to ensure this did not happen again. But the Maharashtra Government has issued a circular that allows the police to arrest anyone who criticises the government or elected officials. It leaves out key parts of the law that specify that “only wordings, signs or acts inciting hatred or violence” can be viewed as sedition. The media is already protesting against this violation of our fundamental rights. If thousands of us sign this petition, we can convince CM Fadnavis to retract this circular and reissue clear and unambiguous guidelines to the police.   Let us work together to keep our fundamental rights safe. Sign my petition The person (or organisation) who started this petition is not affiliated with Change.org. Change.org did not create this petition and is not responsible for the petition content. This email was sent by Change.org to dhot.ravi@gmail.com. You can edit your email preferences or unsubscribe from these emails. Start a petition   ·   Contact us   ·   Privacy policy Change.org   ·   548 Market St #29993, San Francisco, CA 94104-5401, USA

via Gmail

No comments:

Post a Comment